CHICAGO — Air travel could be even more frustrating on Tuesday. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy is expected to be at Chicago’s O’Hare airport on Tuesday afternoon to give an update on air travel. He was scheduled to speak at 3 p.m.

The FAA ordered airlines to drop 6% on Tuesday and 10% on Friday.

By 5 a.m. on Tuesday, O’Hare airport had 123 cancellations with an average 15 minute delay. At Midway airport, there were about 23 cancellations with about a 15 minute delay.

The FAA ordered domestic airlines drop some of their flights at 40 major U.S. airports, saying absences and signs of stress among traffic controllers made it imperative to act in the name of public safety.

But it was unclear exactly how many additional flights would need to be canceled Tuesday. The average cancellation rate over the last few days already exceeded the FAA’s requirement, according to aviation analytics company Cirium.

Darragh Hallina told ABC7 that he hopes the third time is a charm; he’s been trying fly to New York City since Sunday.

“On Sunday we went to the airport at 8 a.m., our flight was canceled on the way to the airport. We were stuck at the airport for five to six hours. So, we tried to get a new flight with the same company but that one got cancelled as well,” Hallina said.

However, controller shortages continued to lead to flight delays, including one of about five hours for arriving flights Monday evening at Chicago O’Hare International Airport, where wintry weather added to staffing-related disruptions earlier in the day.

The Senate passed legislation Monday to reopen the government, but the bill still needs to clear the House and final passage could be days away. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy made clear last week that flight cuts will remain until the FAA sees staffing levels stabilize at its air traffic control facilities.

Tuesday marks the second missed payday for controllers. Some have started calling out of work, citing stress and the need to take on second jobs.

READ ALSO | Over 1,600 flights canceled Monday as Trump tells air traffic controllers: ‘Get back to work, NOW’

It’s unclear how quickly controllers might be paid once the shutdown ends – it took more than two months to receive full back pay after the 35-day shutdown that ended in 2019, said Nick Daniels, president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association.

President Donald Trump took to social media on Monday to pressure controllers to “get back to work, NOW!!!” He called for a $10,000 bonus for those who’ve stayed on the job and suggested docking pay for those who haven’t.

Daniels said the shutdown has made controllers’ demanding jobs even more stressful, leading to fatigue and increased risks. He said the number who are retiring or quitting is “growing” by the day.

Share.
Leave A Reply

20 − eight =

Exit mobile version