CHICAGO (WLS) — Customs and Border Protection Cmdr. Greg Bovino is expected to be leaving the city of Chicago, and could be out in the coming days, multiple sources tell ABC News. The Department of Homeland Security will still maintain a presence in the city, according to multiple sources.

Bovino’s departure could mean he is set to go to another city, or return to the El Centro Sector, according to a source.

Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Tricia McLaughlin said DHS isn’t leaving Chicago.

“We aren’t leaving Chicago,” she posted, citing statistics from “Operation Midway Blitz.”

A spokesperson for DHS claims crime has fallen since their operations began.

But the ABC7 Chicago data team found that violent crime had been decreasing already over the past 12 months in the city.

A spokesperson for the mayor’s office responded to DHS’ claim in part, saying “It is great to hear that the Trump administration acknowledges, as we have been saying for months, that crime is significantly down in Chicago.”

Bovino has had a visible presence in the area throughout federal immigration enforcement.

As a federal judge considered a use of force injunction, which was ultimately granted, Bovino testified to CBP agents’ actions.

He defended their use of force.

The Trump administration on Monday filed an emergency request asking the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals to immediately pause the preliminary injunction on federal immigration agents’ use of force in the Chicago area, while it considers their appeal, saying the order violates the separation of powers.

District Judge Sara Ellis’ order prohibits federal agents from “using riot control weapons” against journalists, demonstrators and religious practitioners without first issuing warnings unless necessary to stop immediate threats of physical harms to agents or others.

Ellis said the government lied under oath, saying federal agents’ conduct in the Chicagoland area shows no signs of stopping.

She also disputed statements made during Bovino’s own recorded deposition.

Ellis called Bovino out for at least three instances in which his deposition contradicted the video evidence, including the Little Village incident on Oct. 23 when Bovino publicly said he had thrown a tear gas canister at protesters after being hit by a rock in the head. He later admitted, under oath, he had thrown it before.

It is worth noting that while the 7th Circuit did block Ellis’ attempt to have Bovino meet with her daily, they did uphold the temporary restraining order that this order replaces. If it survives on appeal, the preliminary injunction will remain in effect until a trial on this case can be held.

Faith leaders on Tuesday blocked 26th Street, under the arch in Little Village, with a prayer service and makeshift altar.

Volunteers were standing by after reports that federal agents would be back in Little Village Tuesday.

None had been seen as of about 11 a.m.

They’re putting pressure on federal agents, they say, and showing organized resistance, together with the faith community.

“Only God has the right to destroy families. Your hate and racism has no place in the United States of America because we are American families, and we want to be treated with respect and dignity,” said Pastor Julie Contreras, with United Giving Hope.

“They could bring 1,000 agents; we’ll bring out 10,000 people to the streets. We don’t have guns; we don’t have nothing but whistles. And this is how we’re going to fight this administration,” Little Village Community Council President Baltazar Enriquez said.

Gov. JB Pritzker said in a statement:

“On the same day Bovino is reportedly leaving Chicago, Trump is yet again threatening to send military troops into an American city against our own citizens. This doesn’t mark an end to federal overreach – it marks an expansion. Illinois is remaining clear-eyed that Donald Trump’s power-grabbing efforts to undermine American rights and freedoms are continuing with full force. This has never been about improving immigration enforcement or public safety – this is about normalizing military tanks and armed troops on American streets.

“Chicago IS the nation’s best big city for the ninth year in a row because of its growing economy, hardworking people, and neighbors who take care of each other and welcome visitors from every corner of the globe with unmatched warmth and pride. No lies or TruthSocial posts will change that.

“And the only real estate vacancy Trump should be worried about continues to be the one at Trump Tower.”

Share.
Leave A Reply

five − one =

Exit mobile version